The Skier’s Handbook for Powder Playlists
Forget singing in the shower. Singing on the slopes is our new favourite pastime.
Where better to belt out your favourite songs than on the slopes? You might not be popular with other skiers, but who cares? Fun fact: you definitely sound great.
The only problem: what should you listen to? Somehow, Spotify’s ‘Throwback Thursday’ playlist doesn’t quite cut it.
We’re here to help! We’ve been to the slopes enough times to know what gets you pumped for the mountains. From stag dos to ski bums, we’ve got a playlist for everyone.
Here’s our skier’s handbook for powder playlists. Note: no song from the ‘Frozen’ Disney movie will be found here. You’re welcome.
Playlist for Solo Skiers
Skiing is a sociable activity, that we all know.
But, it can’t be denied that skiers spend a lot of their time alone. If you’re unfortunate enough to be saddled with some slow skiers on your trip, you can’t be waiting around for them at the bottom the whole time.
Or, you might be that slow skier. Good luck on your own out there.
So, what can keep a solo skier company? A good song, obviously.
You can’t be stopping to change tracks all the time, so make sure you’ve got a good playlist to hand. Luckily, we’ve got some suggestions:
• Survivor – Eye of the Tiger
• The Killers – Run for Cover
• Corrosion of Conformity – Clean My Wounds
• Empire of the Sun – Walking On a Dream
• Imagine Dragons – Radioactive
• X Ambassadors, Jamie N Commons – Jungle
• Metric – Help I’m Alive
• Bastille – Pompeii
• Youngblood Hawke – We Come Running
• The Mooney Suzuki – Alive & Amplified
Playlist for Après-Ski
So, if you know how to do a skiing holiday properly, you’ll be heading out to après-ski every night. If you fancy ‘a quiet night in’, you’re going about skiing all wrong.
A good playlist can make you feel as though you’re at après-ski even when you’re not.
We might be fighting a losing battle by saying this, but try not to forget you have to put your skis back on at the end of it. Getting back down the mountain drunk should be an Olympic sport.
What music will get you in the mood for dancing on tables and downing dirty pints? This one proved tricky, as there’s too many options to choose from.
But, we gave it our best shot. Here are some classic après-ski tunes:
• Village People – YMCA
• David Bowie – Rebel Rebel
• The Human League – Don’t You Want Me
• The Proclaimers – I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)
• Dolly Parton – 9 To 5
• Bryan Adams – Summer of ‘69
• Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
• Queen – Don’t Stop Me Now
• Culture Club – Karma Chameleon
• Starship – We Built This City
Playlist for Seasonaires
Seasonaires have seen it all. The good, the bad, the ugly – nothing is hidden.
They’ve mastered how to ski with a hangover, put up with unbearable chalet guests and seen every skier stereotype come to life.
So, it seems only fair that these dedicated skiers should have their own playlist. Their veins might run with more Jägermeister than blood, but they can still appreciate a good song.
A true seasonaire will spend most of their time in a club. So, we reckon they love the old bangers and the mainstream stuff. Nothing beats the classics, right?
• Usher – Love in this Club
• Chance the Rapper – All Night
• Snoop Dog and Wiz Khalifa – Young, Wild & Free
• French Montana – Unforgettable
• Will Smith – The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
• Drake – God’s Plan
• Childish Gambino – Redbone
• Craig David – 7 Days
• 50 Cent and Justin Timberlake – Ayo Technology
• Eminem – Lose Yourself
Playlist for Stag Dos
Have you been roped into organising a stag do? Or worse, dragged along to a stag do for someone you don’t like? Fear not. Just put your headphones in.
Stag do parties are dreaded by those on the slopes. You might be the cause of annoyance for other skiers nearby, but the best stag dos couldn’t care less about anyone else.
Stag dos used to be as simple as go-karting, before sinking a few pints in a pub while surrounded by strippers. But, these days, there’s pressure on the best man to push the boat out.
So, it’s unsurprising that ski stag dos are popular. Why not force the only one in the group who’s never been skiing down a black run? It’s free entertainment!
In between leaving the naked groom out in the snow and donning the craziest ski accessories imaginable, find time to listen to music!
With stag dos, you’ll need a song for every stage of the night. When you’re warming up, drinking for Dutch courage, and getting rejected. You’ve got a full 24 hours of partying ahead, so don’t let poor music taste ruin the fun for everyone.
• Fat Les – Vindaloo
• DJ B3LFAST – Will Grigg’s on Fire
• Kaiser Chiefs – I Predict a Riot
• Thin Lizzy –The Boys are Back in Town
• Calvin Harris – Acceptable in the 80s
• The Police – Roxanne
• The Ordinary Boys –Boys Will Be Boys
• 50 Cent – In da Club
• Dexys Midnight Runners – Come on Eileen
• The Killers – Somebody Told Me
You may also like: How To Ski With A Hangover
Playlist for Hen Nights
The best hen nights are more than just cocktails and inflatable blow-up dolls.
These days, hen skiing weekends are increasingly popular. Why not trade glow sticks and party buses for après-ski and slope-side partying?
Challenge: try not to lose your sash on the way down the mountain.
Whatever sort of hen do you’re having, you need a great playlist. But, nobody will be able to stand the mother of the bride’s singing, so maybe just don’t invite her.
Here’s our top picks for belting down the slopes alongside your inflatable ‘Harry the Hunk’:
• Cyndi Lauper – Girls Just Want to Have Fun
• Beyoncé – Single Ladies
• ABBA – Dancing Queen
• Spice Girls – Wannabe
• Shania Twain – Man! I Feel Like a Woman!
• Whitney Houston – I Wanna Dance with Somebody
• Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya, Pink – Lady Marmalade
• Aretha Franklin – RESPECT
• The Weather Girls – It’s Raining Men
• Madonna – Like A Virgin
Playlist for Ski Bums
Ski bums are famous for three things: eat, ski, sleep (repeat). That’s about it!
They will scrimp and save wherever they can, give up their luxuries and creature comforts, all for their love of the slopes.
We admire the dedication to the cause. So, in our eyes, every ski bum deserves their very own playlist.
A true ski bum has a varied taste in music. Each song should say something about their current situation:
• Khalid – Young, Dumb & Broke
• AWOLNATION – Sail
• Arctic Monkeys – Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High?
• Kings of Leon – Use Somebody
• Flight of The Conchords – Too Many Dicks (On the Dancefloor)
• Will Smith – Gettin’ Jiggy With It
• Craig David and Big Narstie – When the Bassline Drops
• Wild Cherry – Play that Funky Music
• Red Hot Chili Peppers – Snow (Hey Oh)
• Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
Playlist for Hungover Skiers
We commend any skier who braves the slopes with a hangover.
But, if you’re anything like us, this is a daily occurrence. You can’t miss out on the après-ski, after all.
House music might cure a headache for some, but most are too fragile.
Our advice? Save the heavy stuff for the bar and give yourself some well-needed respite.
You could benefit from turning your headphones down for a bit.
Here’s a few songs to help you feel sorry for yourself:
• Kanye West – Runaway
• X Ambassadors – Unsteady
• James Arthur –Impossible (Acoustic)
• The XX – Intro
• Coldplay – Fix You
• Akon – Lonely
• Kodaline – All I Want
• Train – Hey, Soul Sister
• Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Dosed
• The Fray – How to Save a Life
Music on the Slopes
The perfect playlist will get you excited for the slopes! Plus, it will give you some inspiration for what to sing on your way down the mountain.
But, how to listen to your playlist? Believe it or not, some people still live in the dark ages without Spotify premium.
We’re teaming up with BlueJay, a music curation platform, and streaming these playlists live from their app. So, be on the lookout for announcements of this!
Don’t like our choice of songs? If you have any suggestions, let us know your thoughts on Twitter! Our expertise lies in skiing, not music, after all.
If you can’t wait to see the mountains come alive with the sound of music, you’ll need a transfer to get you there. Luckily for you, we’ve got that covered. Simply enter your travel details and we’ll show you the best quotes around. Find your low-cost transfer here!